Sunday, July 22, 2012

Orphan Sunday!


Orphan Sunday

Did you know there are over 15 million orphans who have lost both parents and 10 million who are fatherless? In the USA alone there are 500,000 in our Foster care system. Do you know what all of these kids all have in common?  They all want someone to love them.  They all want someone to care for them. It takes ONE caring person to make a difference. 

In Scripture we see where God commands us, Isaiah 1:17-Defend the cause of the fatherless, again in Deuteronomy 10:18- He defends the cause of the fatherless, and gives him food and clothes.  In the New Testament we see in Matthew 25: 40 …whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.  My Favorite verse is by far James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.  God COMMANDS us to take care of these little ones.  These are HIS children, and he is saddened by what has been dealt to them.  They didn’t ask for this to happen to them.  It is not the government’s job to take care of them.  It is our job to care for them. 



There is a song by Matthew West Called My Own Little World and I love the Lyrics to it.  If you have never taken the time to listen to the words of that song you really should.  Hear is just few lines of them that really hit me. 

“In my own little world it hardly ever rains
I’ve never gone hungry, always felt safe
I got some money in my pocket, shoes on my feet
In my own little world
population me”

On November 4, 2012 is going to be the 10 anniversary of Orphan Sunday.  Orphan Sunday started in a small church in Zambia, Africa.  A pastor was burdened there for the orphans there who had been affected by the AIDs and disease.  He challenged his church that it was God’s desire for true religion to care for the Fatherless and widows.  There was a businessman there that night that witness church members getting up and giving what they could and for some members it was just the shoes on their feet.

This businessman was soo moved by this that he brought this idea back with him to the USA. And now we have Orphan Sunday in the USA and in 24 Countries. Our God is the Father to the Fatherless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment